Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: Wondering what others think of the information in this interview?

David,

So many myths, and so many of them being spread via the "very strange
political doings afoot" that Peter mentions.*

Recently, many of my fellow technorati jumped on Malcolm Gladwell for the
New Yorker article in which he questioned whether social networks and
twitter will be able to drive significant social change.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/10/04/101004fa_fact_gladwell

I found much of what Gladwell wrote quite convincing. In essence he asks how
will people find the courage to stand up and fight a terrible injustice? In
the Civil Rights movement the people who literally put their lives on the
line (not career setbacks mind you, but lives) had to trust each other and
know that there were serious organizations with substantial resources
watching their backs. I think Gladwell is right, we are going to need more
than blogs and twitter to have a chance at winning this fight.

David, here is something I don't understand. There must be lots of wonderful
independent school administrators who are late in their careers (gray beards
like us) who know that economic inequality has gotten way out of hand. These
folks have their TIAA/CREF stash safely tucked away. Why aren't they
speaking out? Have they too fallen prey to the myth that "making money
separates you from the crowd."?

Fred

*http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/30/100830fa_fact_mayer

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM, David Withrow
<davidwithrow@harfordday.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM, David Withrow
> <davidwithrow@harfordday.org>wrote:
>
> > BTW , 2 Trillion dollars are sitting in the coffers of businesses, great
> > and small. hmmm..... Who's playing whom?
> > When the owners of the country play the rest of us ..... the Tea Party is
> > distraction/
> >
> > On the other hand there is often resistance to the idea of collaboration
> in
> > the classroom and collaborative assessment. That is what the interview
> said
> > to me.
> >
> > Even in an advantaged setting collaborative learning has an important
> role.
> > The leaders of the educational community must take the educational role:
> > that of informing all of us about a rising tide raises the community.
> Yet,
> > who has that courage? In these tight times most heads cannot, will not
> move
> > on this. The community, in general, believes in the myth that making
> money
> > separates you from the crowd.
> >
> > cynically,
> >

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]