Thursday, October 21, 2010

Re: Question about system-wide usernames

We use the first five letters of the student's last name + first letter =
of first name + last two digits of their graduation year. For example, =
if I were a 5th grader, my username would be polizc18. We have used =
this convention for about 4 years, and with little over 800 students =
accounts, we only encountered our first duplicate username this year. =
We got around this by adding the second letter of the first name. We =
introduce these usernames in 3rd grade, which has helped students to get =
used to the naming convention by the time they enter the middle school, =
where these usernames are used for several systems.

Charles Polizano
Network Administrator
Poly Prep Country Day School