Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: Blackbaud Version 8

I think within the next 24 month, just about everything will be in the =
cloud. Microsoft's new product is Office365 where everything is in the =
cloud which will be released in about 6 months. There is no longer a =
client. Although, they have not come out and said they will stop =
creating a client-based product, I just have a hard time seeing this =
happening. There is less and less need for companies to deal with tech =
support for end users trying to update their client-based software. =
Moving everything to the cloud reduces cost, reduces "walls" where =
things can be accessed, and helps to manage security for smaller =
companies.=20

I realize this can be an issue for areas with internet issues, but with =
more and more things moving to the cloud, I think that rural area =
solutions will need to become better and less expensive, so the lack of =
reliable internet stops being an issue.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

From: Thomas Phelan <tphelan@peddie.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:16:45 -0400
To: ISED-L <ISED-L@listserv.syr.edu>
Cc: Jonathan Mergy <jmergy@lwhs.org>

The main difficulty will be for any customizations or tools that
require
direct access to the SQL data. However, my hope is that direct access
won't
be necessary. In place of direct access to the SQL data Blackbaud will
provide a web service layer to allow access to data. So, for example,
if you
application needs to pull information about a student, instead of
running a
complex SQL query to grab the data you need, your application will ask
the
web service to provide you with the object you need (e.g. a student
object).
This approach means your app is less likely to require modification
with new
versions of Blackbaud, and more importantly, it allows you to take
advantage
of Blackbaud's business logic so your custom apps will be able to
safely
write back data to the db something which would be very dangerous to
do
without BB's business logic.

Two downsides I see to this approach are potential performance issues
and
lack of access to a test platform. Some of my apps would almost
certainly be
very slow if I had to pull data from a web service. What I'll probably
do
for these is build local tables of the required info (e.g. grades,
grade
reports) on a schedule after hours by making calls to the web service.
By
far my biggest concern regarding Blackbaud's move to SaaS is the lack
of
access to a test server with our data. We regularly load our data on a
test
server of BB to do everything from test new ways of doing things and
major
changes, to training new users, to recovering data from a mistake
(e.g.
faculty member deletes major section of his/her gradebook) when rolling
back
the whole database is not an option. I have voiced this as a concern
and am
waiting for a response.

[ For info on ISED-L see
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]

[ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =