Thursday, October 28, 2010

Re: ISED Language Lab or Not

Unless you have a really good N bonded wireless network, with clients =
running on N, with gigabit switches and all Cat 6 cabling and you =
segment the network off for minimum bandwidth for the language lab, =
don't even try language software on a wireless network. Even with those =
specs, I have found most language labs do not recommend or support the =
use of their product on a wireless network. =20

Language applications are very video and audio intensive. Students are =
recording their voices, often for an extended period of time. These =
files can get large, and pushing 20 or more at the same time over a =
wireless network can make the experience less than ideal.

We are trying out Rosetta Stone this year before possibly moving into =
some type of language lab. Since the goal is to use the program in a =
truly integrated way within the class, we put 12 desktops in the middle =
school Spanish classroom. =20

It has not been used enough yet to evaluate its use. I will post as the =
teacher uses it more.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School