Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: HIPPA email Policies?

First determine if HIPAA is applicable. Just because information is health
related or created by a health care worker does not mean it has to conform to
HIPAA . While HIPAA compliance is often seen as a best-practice its good to
distinguish between what is mandated and what is desirable as the costs can be
significant. There are a number of good resources and I would suggest starting
here:
http://www.nais.org/government/article.cfm?ItemNumber=145606

It is generally cost-prohibitive to make your entire email system HIPAA
compliant for the use of one or two staff (and that goes for the rest of your
systems as well). Most large health systems keep it out of email completely and
use a series of web based forms because they cannot always be assured that the
recipient system is secured. There are a number of commercial systems that you
could purchase an account on for the exclusive use of transacting HIPAA
information. I have not used any of them (e.g. http://www.sendhipaa.com/)
because I have not worked at/with a school that would be considered a covered
entity.

_J
Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com