Monday, October 25, 2010

Re: Wondering what others think of the information in this interview?

Well, as a certified graybeard with what's left of my TIAA/CREF after the
2008 crash stashed away, I guess I don't know what to do, Fred.

I like to think I work at a school with as solid and pervasive a social
justice mission as any, where kids have to think about these things in every
class in every discipline. We have set aside simple noblesse oblige
"service" concepts for some serious thinking and lots of talking and even
doing about social entrepreneurship and socially conscious capitalism.

Short of stopping the dance altogether and liquidating our assets toward
some particular cause, we're doing what we can to make our place an agency
for good, for helping kids see the large-scale social, economic, and
cultural benefits of more collaboration, more awareness of the pain of the
world and our roles in both exacerbating and ameliorating that pain. Some of
the kids probably miss these messages, while others probably think they're
shoved down their throats, so the balance is probably about right. Our
families seem to get this, and they even seem to appreciate it.

As a school we walk what I think is the righteous line between reasonable
choices for institutional sustainability (= survival of our worthy mission
and the will to carry it out) and doing the socially just thing--around
financial aid, programs, choices about spending and resource allocation. If
you were a bloated, ethically numb plutocrat you wouldn't choose our place
to educate your kid or to be on the board, anyhow.

I vote with the good guys and occasionally with the too-good-to-be-true guys
(although I wouldn't vote for a Nader if it would risk giving a victory to
the bad guys); I put my spare money toward the causes that matter to me,
primarily the 5 different public radio outlets for which I'm a sustainer;
they educate broadly and well, I think.

But I think there are quite a few schools like ours and quite a few people
like me in them, trying to figure it out and use our personal and
institutional resources to accomplish something other than educate more
generations of Richie Riches. There are a whole lot of good will and good
intentions in this profession, and whatever you may say about the pavement
on the road to hell, our schools are more authentically playing roles for
social good than they were 2, 4, 8, or 10 decades ago--it's progress, though
slow. It is a matter of balancing institutional survival against these
shifting intentions: after all, many of our schools have played a key role
for a century or more in sustaining community and even national elites, and
redefining the task--most importantly, redefining the role of elites, in
many cases--is not so easy.

But lots of us are trying. And I see not just the graybeards working at it;
the younger folk coming in, at least the ones I see, have ideals and dreams,
too--PG

Peter Gow
Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467
www.bcdschool.org