Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Re: Wondering what others think of the information in this interview?

Leadership is isolating in schools as it is elsewhere. Many heads have str=
ong relationships with acquaintances and colleagues, but very few friends (=
meaning, "let your hair down and say what you really think," within the dom=
ain of their work (but blessedly, many have deep friendships outside of the=
ir work domains). Besides, the intimacy of these email exchanges and their=
frankness and honesty, as we all know, can come back to haunt school leade=
rs, when they are used by adversaries to betray the apparent honesty of the=
moment. Take this issue, for example, as the paradox of independent scho=
ols and colleges, dependent upon great wealth financially, yet staffed by p=
eople who are suspicious of it. Hard for school leaders to come down on on=
e side or the other of that dilemma.

Cheers.

PFB

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a =
habit." (Aristotle, 384-322 B.C.)
"What we learn to do, we learn by doing." (Aristotle, 384-322 B.C.)

Patrick F. Bassett, President
NAIS - National Association of Independent Schools
1620 L St., NW, Washington, DC 20036
202.973.9710 (office) 202.746.5444 (cell) 202.973.9709 (fax)
bassett@nais.org www.nais.org www.twitter.com/patbassett www.fac=
ebook.com/NAISnetwork