Friday, October 29, 2010

Re: graphing calculators in 1:1 Schools

We also struggled with this Carole and ultimately decided to require the
purchase of the TI-Nspire in the 8th grade this year. The Nspire will be
phased in and will be optional for current US students. Our students
purchase or lease tablets in the 9th grade so we did not want to add the
additional cost of the calculator to the family. In middle school
students pay a small technology fee which will offset most of the cost
of the laptop. We do think it is important for students to have practice
using the calculator that they will be using in the testing environment.
We have not finalized how we will use the CAS but we are working on it
for the upper level math courses.

Good luck,
Connie=20

Connie White