Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Re: QUERY- Middle School Final Exams

Dean:

1) We administer exams for 6th through 8th graders at the end of each =
semester. The exams assess the kids on material covered that semester - i.=
e., our spring semester exam does not assess the kids on the year's worth o=
f content. Starting with the 2010-2011 school year, we will no longer give=
exams for 7th graders.

2) The exams all have a standardized cover page format (school logo, n=
ame of course, teacher name, date, space for student name, exam directions,=
Code of Honor Statement with signature line, etc.) but the content and for=
mat of the exam itself is driven by the individual teacher - the exams are =
generally a mix of objective questions, short answers, application question=
s (e.g., creating or using maps to answer questions in 7th Grade geography,=
writing a Haiku in 7th Grade LA, etc.), and essays. The balance between o=
bjective questions and essays shifts towards the latter as the kids move to=
ward 8th Grade. The teachers do give a review copy of each exam (and corre=
sponding study guide) to me two weeks or so before exam week.

3) The kids take five exams (math, science, LA, social studies, and Sp=
anish) over three mornings - there are two 2-hour exam slots each morning. =
(The exams themselves are not two hours in length; we build in time to col=
lect textbooks, hand out materials, and answer general questions before the=
exam actually begins.) They are done by 12:30pm each day and have to be p=
icked up by 12:45pm.

Our teachers are also required to give the kids study guides two weekends a=
head of exam week and then hold exam review sessions in class for the last =
four to five days leading up to exams.

Please feel free to call or e-mail me if I can be of any further help.

John

John E. Pitcairn
Middle Division Director

Academy at the Lakes
Academy at the Lakes is a learning community of shared values dedicated to =
the success of each individual at school, in the community, and in the worl=
d. We celebrate the love of learning and the joy in the journey.

2331 Collier Parkway
Land O'Lakes, FL 34639
(813) 948-7600 office
(813) 949-0563 fax