Thursday, February 12, 2009

Re: Web Refresh Document?

Lorrie:

Using something like Base Camp (along with a spreadsheet or database)
is an excellent idea. Managing Web site content is really no
different than managing print media. Creating production timelines in
project management software (along with basic project management
skills) work pretty much the same in online and print media. The only
major difference is the immediacy in which content is deployed in the
Web world. This is what tends to get businesses and organizations in
trouble.

The decentralized nature of online media makes management of the
content more critical. Knowing who is doing what and when (using
project management tools) can help in keeping some semblance of
control over the process. It will also help in giving the content
creators a sense of when they will need to provide new content. All
to often it is at the bottom of an already long laundry list of things
to do (like, oh, the business of education itself) and by preparing
folks in advanced makes it easier for them to manage their time.

I have managed a number of different types of sites over the years and
have found project management tools invaluable.

TJ

On 2/12/09, Lorrie Jackson <ljackson@lausanneschool.com> wrote:
> Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations for a CMS solution. I'll be
> honest...I'm not a full-time webmaster and the time I can spend on this is
> minimal. I was thinking of a spreadsheet template or other fairly simplistic
> model. I use Base Camp for
> managing my magazine and wonder if others have used project management
> software like this to manage their web site?
>
> Lorrie
>
> dwfitzgerald@yahoo.com writes:
>>Within a Drupal-based site, this would be pretty straightforward --
>> Revision tracking comes with the core install, and you can use a module
>> called "Workflow" to create custom publishing workflows -- this can
>> include setting pages that have not been
>>updated in x days to trigger an email to a site admin.
>>
>>Moreover, you could also create searchable pages that filtered on dates --
>> so, for example, you could look for all pages containing "alumni" that
>> have been updated within the last x days/weeks.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Bill
>

> Lorrie Jackson
> Director of Communications and Marketing
> Lausanne Collegiate School (Memphis, TN, USA)
> 901-474-1003
> ljackson@lausanneschool.com
> www.lausanneschool.com
> Skype: lorriejackson
> Twitter: lausanneschool or lorriejl
> Find Lausanne Collegiate School on Facebook!

Sent from my mobile device

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com