Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Re: [Techtalk] Lightspeed Total Traffic Control

We are currently using it.

=20

We have had it installed since July.

=20

It is not bad, it has it's good points and its bad points. We came over
from Websense and the minuses that I see from websense is that the
user/group based reporting is not even close to as good in lightspeed.
The other thing is that the Active Directory implementation is not what
I would have expected. It requires a fresh login daily otherwise you
are given the default policy. No locking and unlocking your computer,
no standby, no hibernate when coming from off of the network onto the
network in the morning. I don't think the categorization of the sites
is as good as websense either. There are more categories, but we have
had problems with a lot of sites being miscategorized. The tool that
they have to submit the requests to unblock or recategorize the sites
works great, but I would hope they would be better on that. =20

=20

Good points is that it kills SSL proxies. It tracks search queries that
are put into google and msn including the images. It blocks google
image thumbnails and forces safe search on the images. It is an inline
solution so anything that is going out has to go through there and can
be caught in some way shape or form. It is much faster than websense
(and it was on the same box) The biggest one is the price. I get an
email/IM arching client, spam/virus filter, content filter, desktop
antivirus, some packet shaping, all for the price of one or two of them.

=20

Their support overall is great. We have only had 1 issue that I can
recall that things had to be escalated to the next level past basic
support.

Brian Etzkorn

Villa Duchesne

801 S. Spoede rd.