Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Re: sexting and cell phones

Our students are not allowed to make a call from inside the building but ce=
ll phones are used personally by students as well as for educational purpos=
es. It is not mainstream by any means. However, I have watched students use=
their iPhones to record a class discussion then use the camera feature to =
take a pictures of diagrams on the board. Recently, a student was giving a =
presentation in class and used polleverywhere.com during the presentation. =
The students used their phones, pda's or cell phones to text in their respo=
nses which were then collected by polleverwhere.com and projected on the bo=
ard in real time. This captured the immediate responses and thoughts that t=
hen informed further discussion. The responses are anonymous which I think =
also added to the dynamics of the "seed" for discussion. The students in th=
e class were visible and audibly more engaged in the student led discussion=
. The best part, the students did not need to be taught how this was to be =
done. Simply go to a specific site or text your message to a specific numbe=
r. Since text messaging is one of their main forms of communication. No ins=
tructions were necessary. Cell phones are growing in popularity. With today=
's Smart-phones, it is only a matter of time before additional advancements=
in the technology, interface and applications make it possible to replace=
the classroom laptop with the cell phone.

I would recommend a quick look at the last four issues of the horizon repor=
t. Cell phones and mobile computing have been in each issue in some form or=
another.

Chris Bigenho
Director of Educational Technology
Greenhill School