Sunday, February 22, 2009

Re: Making Schools Relevant (was cell phones)

This is not my experience as a parent of a student who attended a =20
Quaker school through graduation or as a teacher in a Quaker school.

Deborah Hazen

Lost
David Wagoner
=46rom Traveling Light: Collected and New Poems=94 published by the =20
University of Illinois Press in 1999

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you.