Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Re: [Techtalk] Lightspeed Total Traffic Control

We have tested light speed for over a year in a full production environment=
(the entire campus) and it has some nice basic reporting and simple manage=
ment tools. Since it is not a true "Firewall" It does not allow custom fire=
wall rules and filtering to allow a lot of administration/faculty/student/l=
ibrary/SIS applications to run through it. Even with their tech support we =
were only able to fix or allow 1 out of the 9 fire wall rules that we neede=
d. If you have no need for firewall rules or custom rules then it is a simp=
le and good product.

We still use it for our student wireless (a completely separate network for=
students and faculty to surf the internet with their personal laptops) so =
we can keep simple reporting tools on their internet access and usage. They=
realize that wireless is only for surfing the basic internet and that is a=
ll they will get. Since it meets that one need and we will never create rul=
es for it, then it works well for that part of the network. We only use the=
internet filtering portion and nothing else.

My only concerns that affected us on our campus:

1. Untimely and poor customer service.

2. Tech support did not listen well (very argumentative).

3. Only 1 in 9 of my problems in over a year got completely resolved.

4. Certain patches, updates make parts of it crash or have other issu=
es (on both the server and client computers).

5. A year later I still have to reboot it at least 2-3 times a week o=
therwise it stops working (I am using brand new Dell Rack Server to host it=
with tons of resources and this server is dedicated to just running this o=
ne program.)

6. Frustrated with the often and repeated response "Sorry this produc=
t does not allow or do that; you will need to find a different product to d=
o that part."

7. Anti-virus portion is not very accurate. We had to go back to Nort=
on Symantec Endpoint Protection because it was allowing too many things to =
infect the network. After removing the Light speed AV portion and running N=
orton Symantec Endpoint Protection , we found over 1700 problems/incidents =
that had gotten through and were causing us problems. Norton automatically =
found and fixed these within 24 hours for me.

Eddie Ebel
Information Technology Director
Sandia Preparatory School
505.338.3046 (Direct Line)