Thursday, February 19, 2009

Re: cell phones

Although my current Title is Director of Technology, I have 28 years of
working in Education. I have been a classroom teacher, a computer
teacher, coordinator of professional development, technology coordinator
and now Director of Technology. =20

In my current role, I work with teachers everyday assisting them in
using technology in the classroom both for teaching and with their
students. I realize not all Tech Directors have this much education
background. I do agree that Tech Directors should not be the only ones
making decisions about technology. At every school I have worked at,
large decisions (what is being filtered, what platform to buy, long
range plans, etc.) were made by a team of teachers working with me.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Ross Lenet
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:53 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: cell phones

The comment I am about to make may seem strange coming from a former=20
Director of Technology, but I think that we all need to take with a
grain=20
of salt many of the assertions and predictions related to the role of=20
technology in education (both present and future) in light of the fact=20
that most of these comments are being made by people whose job titles=20
include the word "technology" or similar.

As I recall from the original charter (although I am willing to be=20
corrected on this point), the ISED-L list was never meant to be a=20
technology forum dominated by Directors of Technology, but that is what
it=20
has, de facto, become. Asking Directors of Technology to make
predictions=20
about the future of technology in education is akin, as I see it, to=20
asking a real estate agent whether it is a good time to buy a house.

Don't get me wrong. I wholeheartedly agree the we should loosen up about

cell phones and iPods and even encourage their use. I just wish we could

hear more from people whose job titles do not include the word=20
"technology." I want to hear from "regular" English teachers, history=20
teachers, religion teachers, and Kindergarten teachers.

Ross Lenet
Sidwell Friends School, Washington, DC
Former Director of Technology
Mathematics Teacher

P.S. By the way, universes may come and universes may go, but you will=20
*never* hear a dumber question than asking a real estate agent whether
it=20
is a good time to buy a house. The next dumber question (whatever it is)

is a distant second.

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L