Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Re: Online directories

Debbie:
Do you have a database system that already has this information in it? In
many cases, leveraging the existing information system might prove to be
more manageable in the long term and could only require a little bit of Web
savvy.

While an off the shelf solution may be easier to implement initially, you
may find yourself having to maintain two information systems (the Web-based
system and whatever back-office system the data already resides in). That
can create a lot of double data entry and can become a data management (and
ultimately a parent/student services) issue.

TJ

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Debbie Anderson <DAnderson@mcleanschool.org
> wrote:

> Does anyone have a student online directory that functions as a database
> where parents can pull up a class list with phone numbers and addresses?
> We are thinking about eliminating our printed directory but need an easy
> online system for parents to use.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Debbie Anderson
>
> Webmaster/Upper School Technology Coordinator
>
> McLean School of Maryland
>
> danderson@mcleanschool.org

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com