Thursday, February 12, 2009

Re: Laptop machines

Many manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo and HP (as well as Acer and a
number of others) have released so called netBooks. These are ultra
lightweight, ultra small units that do pack enough of a punch to serve many
purposes.
Limitations on these units have to be considered, however.

1. Windows XP Home: Most come with the Home edition of Windows XP which
cannot be added to a Microsoft-based network infrastructure (Active
Directory)

2. Linux: You can, however, get these machines with different flavors of
Linux for the open source crowd.

3. Memory: Though changes will be coming, most netBooks come with only 1GB
of RAM. If you are planning on using these machines for graphics intensive
programs or anything requiring a lot of RAM, you will regret it.

4. Cost: The intriguing part is cost. High end is about $450 and goes down
from there.

TJ

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM, David F. Withrow <
DavidWithrow@harfordday.org> wrote:

> A big mac fan myself we are considering the acer inspire one ($279.99) for
> carts.
>
> David F. Withrow
> Director of Technology
> Harford Day School
> Bel Air, Maryland 21014
> voice: 410 879 2350 ex 33
> fax: 410 836 5918
> http://www.harfordday.org
>
> The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
> - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
>
> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice,
> there is.
> - Yogi Berra

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com