Thursday, February 19, 2009

Re: cell phones

The comment I am about to make may seem strange coming from a former
Director of Technology, but I think that we all need to take with a grain
of salt many of the assertions and predictions related to the role of
technology in education (both present and future) in light of the fact
that most of these comments are being made by people whose job titles
include the word "technology" or similar.

As I recall from the original charter (although I am willing to be
corrected on this point), the ISED-L list was never meant to be a
technology forum dominated by Directors of Technology, but that is what it
has, de facto, become. Asking Directors of Technology to make predictions
about the future of technology in education is akin, as I see it, to
asking a real estate agent whether it is a good time to buy a house.

Don't get me wrong. I wholeheartedly agree the we should loosen up about
cell phones and iPods and even encourage their use. I just wish we could
hear more from people whose job titles do not include the word
"technology." I want to hear from "regular" English teachers, history
teachers, religion teachers, and Kindergarten teachers.

Ross Lenet
Sidwell Friends School, Washington, DC
Former Director of Technology
Mathematics Teacher

P.S. By the way, universes may come and universes may go, but you will
*never* hear a dumber question than asking a real estate agent whether it
is a good time to buy a house. The next dumber question (whatever it is)
is a distant second.

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L