Thursday, February 19, 2009

Re: Document imaging/scanning

We also have copiers (sorry "multi-function systems") on the network. I put
the main faculty copier on last year and it has become quite popular. I set
the default resolution to 200dpi and the filetype to PDF and people have
been quite happy in sending to email. Of course, the default settings can be
changed, but most will just want to scan/send, so the 200dpi / PDF settings
over the years in other environments always seemed to work well.

The one thing I have seen that is critical on this is that the scan function
is integrated within the device. I have had it both integrated and as having
a computer and monitor on the side of the copier, but that is really not
desirable and provides too much structure for people to deal with. If they
can think of it like making a copy, they seem to have less reluctance to
attempt it and after they do, they become a fan. The Canon copiers do a
pretty nice job but I also really liked the Minolta ones back in the day.

Jonathan
Jonathan Mergy (jmergy@lwhs.org)
Director Of Technology
Lick-Wilmerding High School