Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Re: Reliable Backup Solution

I too was never jazzed about BE. I am a former Retrospect user for years,
but with all the turmoil there as they did feature parity between Windows
Servers and Mac servers and their problematic ways they dealt with linux
clients, I pulled it (circa 2004ish). I am sure it is better now. Also, I
did like the functionality of their backup server and client specifically
for floating laptops. We had many people with laptops and when they popped
on the network, the client would register as present with Retro and ask to
start backup for the user. Nice stuff and nothing I have seen since has been
that good. I did pull retro eventually and went with Arkeia (
http://www.arkeia.com/) which was extremely solid for servers and my Oracle
databases at the time).

I am running Symantec Backup Exec and it is pretty good. It is just the 800
pound gorilla now and workable. Arcserve is another, but I would steer clear
of anything CA (insert personal history).

We are backing up Linux, Windows and OS X servers with BE 12 pretty
reliably. BE 9 and 10 were garbage, but actually it has become better.

Wish you luck!

Jonathan
Jonathan Mergy (jmergy@lwhs.org)
Director Of Technology