Thursday, October 14, 2010

Re: Cyberbullying resources

Thank you Chris.
Jim Lerman

-----Original Message-----

research from the pediatric journals on bullying. I take the approach that =
this is really an old problem in a new venue (thus the title). You can acce=
ss the slides at http://www.slideshare.net/bigenhoc/cyberbully-slides-2010.=
However, the video that plays of several of the slide will not play across=
this medium. If you are interested in the content and how I used the assoc=
iated media, contact me off list and I will gladly share. This presentation=
focuses on the act of bullying and takes a research approach with current =
data from PEW, several major studies on bullying as published in pediatric =
journals and the American Educational Research Association journal Educatio=
nal Researcher. I was surprised from my research to learn that child psycho=
logists identify chronic bullying of an individual as 3 or more events in a=
given year. This means that real lasting damage can be done in a very shor=
t amount of time.

>After firmly establishing this as a sociological, behavioral problem that =
must be addressed at the human level, I share what makes this "new venue" u=
nique in the world of bullying (i.e. Why we must pay special attention to t=
hese new "spaces"- text, phone, online. In the end, this is a message about=
empowering everyone (students, teachers, parents) to do something about th=
e problem. It is about giving students the voice to say "No... You may not =
bully my friend, you may not bully my classmate." It is about making people=
aware of what constitutes bullying and the effects it has. It is about inv=
olving the entire community in ongoing efforts through targeted education r=
ather than special assemblies etc. This is a complex problem requiring a co=
mplex and sophisticated approach to address. The studies on the effectivene=
ss of intervention programs is sobering. However, that research points to a=
comprehensive approach as having the greatest efficacy.

>I wish I had the full version of this in an audio/video format but I have =
yet to record this presentation. Perhaps someday soon...

>Cheers,
>Chris=20
>
>Chris Bigenho
>Director of Educational Technology
>Greenhill School
>4141 Spring Valley Road
>Addison, TX=C2=A0 75001
>Ph. 972-628-5479
>Fx. 972-628-5279
>bigenhoc@greenhill.org
>www.greenhill.org
>=C2=A0
>Blog: http://bigenhoc.wordpress.com/
>Twitter: bigenhoc
>AIM: chris bigenho
>Yahoo: chris_bigenho
>Skype: chris_bigenho
>Tapped In: ChrisWB
>Delicious: http://delicious.com/bigenhoc
>Diigo:bigenhoc

.EDU] On Behalf Of James Lerman
>Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:36 AM
>To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: Cyberbullying resources
>
>Hello Listers,
>A colleague has asked for suggestions for resources related to cyberbullyi=
ng in connection with middle and high school age students. Background info,=
curricula, suggestions for parents, prevention programs, etc. are all of i=
nterest. If you know of material you think is worthwhile, please pass it al=
ong.

>Thank you.
>James Lerman
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D12887=
4 ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.