Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Re: Reliable Backup Solution

We use Retrospect and I'm pretty happy with it. Features definitely lag be=
hind the competition, but when using it for disk-based backup I haven't fou=
nd a better, more intuitive approach with software that I can afford. We u=
se it to back up Windows Servers (2003 and 2008), Exchange 2007, SQL 2005, =
and a few Linux servers (CentOS).

I've used MS DPM before with various clients and it works very well for bac=
king up Microsoft servers. There are some caveats, though. It can only ba=
ck up using an agent, and agents are only available for Windows, so this do=
esn't meet your Linux or ESX requirements.

I haven't run across a SMB backup package that can do the traditional stuff=
(Windows, Linux, Exchange, SQL, etc) and VMware Consolidated Backup, and d=
o them both well. There are enterprise options that do all of those items =
(Asigra, NetBackup, Commvault) but they're all very expensive. If I were y=
ou I'd take a mixed approach. Use a dedicated app to do host-level backups=
(vRanger, esXpress, Veeam) and then use a more traditional app to do guest=
-level backups.

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland


> -----Original Message-----
> From: A forum for independent school educators [mailto:ISED-
> L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Jomar McDonald
> Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:43 PM
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Reliable Backup Solution
>=20
> I'm looking for a good replacement for Backup Exec. I've been using Back=
up
> Exec for years but it's really been getting on my nerves lately. I can't=
get
> a reliable Exchange 2007 backup out of it to save my life and so I'm look=
ing
> for good alternatives. I need something that can backup Windows Server 2=
003,
> 2008 and Linux servers, SQL, Exchange 2007 and VMWare ESX servers. I'm
> running a mix of x64 and x86 servers so I'll need full support for that a=
s
> well. Anyone out there using Acronis True Image Echo or Microsoft System
> Center Data Protection Manager or whatever it's called?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Jomar McDonald
> Director of Technology
> The Frances Xavier Warde School
> 751 N. State St.
> Chicago, IL 60610
> W: 312-798-4064
> F: 312-337-7180
>=20
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-
> commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L