Thursday, December 4, 2008

Re: Examples of 21st Century Skills based projects

Hi Alex. You are welcome to use my projects (and I can lead you to
others). Go to http://edtechteacher.org/lessons.html for explanations
as well as a 'Web 2.0 & 21st Century Skills' slideshow.
The projects aim to empower students by giving them responsibility
over content creation, foster interdependence and community through
synchronous and asynchronous collaboration, and develop "collective
intelligence" via individual contributions.

Examples:
1. "Great Debate of 2008" - Students from around the country come
together to discuss issues and candidates surrounding the 2008
presidential election.
Great Debate of 2008 wiki: http://greatdebate2008.wikispaces.com/
Great Debate of 2008 private online social network:
http://greatdebate2008.ning.com/ (private)

2. "Day in Life of Hobo" podcast
Interdisciplinary creative writing/historical simulation activity
calls on students to research the plight of homeless teenagers during
the Great Depression and create a radio show on the issue.

3. "Social Mobility" audio blogging
Group audio blogging activity calls on students to compare social
mobility and social inequality in America today with the "Gilded Age"
of the late 19th century.

4. Mobcast "unit wrapup"
Cell phone is used to record a unit-ending class conversation which is
posted to the Web. Students listen to conversation in the evening
before writing an analyitical essay.

5. iSearch literature reflection project
By Peter Raymond, English teacher at Nobles. "A deep personal
exploration" with literature within a public context via a blog.

Hope your presentation goes well.
Tom

--
Tom Daccord -- educational technology trainer, speaker, and author.

Co-Director, EdTechTeacher
tom@edtechteacher.org
c: 617-455-8716

Best Ideas for Teaching with Technology: A Practical Guide for
Teachers, by Teachers (M.E. Sharpe, 2008)
The Best of History Web Sites (Neal-Schuman, 2007)

EdTechTeacher: http://edtechteacher.org/
edtechteacher blog: http://thwt.typepad.com/edtechteacher/
Teaching History with Technology: http://thwt.org/
Teaching English with Technology: http://tewt.org/