Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Re: Netbooks

I've been messing with them since I saw one for the first time at K-12 Open
Minds.

We've tried machines from Asus, HP (with a VIA processor), Acer, and Lenovo.

The Lenovo was by far the most popular one around here. The sizing was just
right all around. The other machines lost out because their keyboards were a
hair too small (Asus, Acer) or people had issues with mouse buttons being on
the side (Asus, HP, Acer).

I definitely will not touch one with less than a gig of RAM, ultimately
these will have to last us 3-4 years.

The thing is that the market is changing so fast right now, it makes the
summer (my purchase time) seem very far off. So I'm going to wait for June
to come around and assess the situation again. Lenovo definitely has the
edge though.

+++Jeff