Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Re: The College Board's place in education

I wonder if this discussion needs to take place higher up the food chain
- colleges and universities - that drive the secondary schools to near
madness with all the afore mentioned work and also with the whole high
school curriculum being replaced with AP courses that TEACH TO THE TEST.
As long as higher education gives the impression this is needed to enter
their hallowed halls, secondary schools will be slaves to this
craziness. My idealistic self would like to think that we could stand
up and just say no. Then, of course, this discussion moves to the
parents who are also mesmerized by the power of higher education. As a
group, could we make a case (research-loaded, well-written, persuasive,
etc.) against teaching "AP" classes and instead teaching the knowledge
that we feel our students need, much of which might be identified and
quantified by an AP exam, but could perhaps be more eloquently learned
by our students in a way that enters into their lifelong knowledge, not
just what is need to know for the month of May?

My $0.02 (just me, not speaking for my colleagues here at FVS).
-Ann