Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Re: The College Board's place in education

I assume that most people on this list know about this website:

http://excellencewithoutap.org

It's actually changed quite a bit - the old version just had a list of =20=

really good schools that got rid of the AP - now it's gotten a bit =20
fancier and it's harder to find the arguments against the AP.

But the site does have a lot of information for schools wishing to =20
"reclaim" their independence, and it also has the following quote =20
(from very high up the food chain):

"We look at whether the applicant has taken the high school=92s most =20
demanding courses. But whether the classes are designated as A.P. or =20
not is irrelevant. Abolishing A.P. classes won=92t hurt the kids."
Marlyn McGrath Lewis
Director of Admissions
Harvard University

Our own research at the Laboratory Schools revealed similar thoughts =20
from all but one admissions office at roughly 100 colleges to which =20
our students most frequently matriculate....we still have APs.

It's too late for me to offer my own rant on this right now. It would =20=

be long and circular anyway. Just wanted to throw this info onto the =20=

heap.

-Baker