Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Re: disabling Word features

Renee, as AP Coordinator and SAT Test Center Supervisor I would never ask
or expect a "regular classroom teacher" to deal with the technical aspects
of preparing a computer for standardized testing. It is my responsbility
to do this. And if I coudldn't figure it out, I would enlist the help of
our IT department. Moreover, even if I thought I had things nailed down
technically, there is no substitute for a diligent proctor.

Ross Lenet
Sidwell Friends School


> I think the policy is only "stupid" because it is not an easy thing to do for most teachers. Turning off spelling and grammar checking is easy, and most teachers could do that with limited instruction. Asking a regular classroom teacher to figure out how to disable a major feature of a word processing program can lead to students not having the accommodations they need.

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L