Friday, April 24, 2009

Re: Foreign Language Accommodations- Dyslexia

Scott;

Well I am a profound dyslexic (Landmark School 1971-1973, Oak Grove-
Coburn 1976, Brigham Young University 1980) I was faced with this
issue from the beginning of my academic career to the present day.

At Landmark School, perhaps the leading American school for dyslexics,
foreign languages are not part of the curriculum then or now and we
were advised to stay well clear of the subjects as we moved on in our
academic careers. see: http://www.landmarkschool.org/downloads/hs/HSCurriculumGuide.pdf

Oak Grove-Coburn had a language requirement, 3 years when I entered.
They took me understanding that I was a dyslexic that relied on
talking books services for the blind and oral tests. Their solution
was that I would take Latin but I would not be graded on it, good
thing too. It would be noted on my transcript that I was not graded in
Latin due to my disability but that I had taken the class. Yes I
consider dyslexia to be a disability same is if I were blind or deaf.
Poor Mrs. Mendal she really worked at trying to teach me Latin to
little result.

Brigham Young University also had a language requirement and, as you
might well imagine, a very strong program in such. I was the first
known dyslexic that BYU ever admitted, again I was expected to employ
talking books and oral testing. The various language departments were
set that I would have to meet this requirement. However the forgot
that in BYU's case any language taught to Mormon missionaries had to
also count for the foreign language credit of the University, this was
so demanded by the Mormon church leadership. The year that I started
at BYU the Mormon church also started training missionaries in
American Sign Language and as a result American Sign Language counted
as a foreign language, which is is anyway as it has it's own grammar
and usage. Given that ASL has no written form it was felt that ASL was
the perfect second language for a dyslexic to learn as I would never
be tested on my ability to read or write it. I can tell you the
department heads of the language departments were none to happy about
having ASL forced down them as a foreign language, again I was the
first student they had who did this and the matter went all the way to
the president of the university, but they had little choice in the
matter given the church leaders instructions.

Moving on today I do speak a bit of Swedish which I use in business
but I can't say I am fluent in anything other than ASL which I find
myself using from time to time in unexpected ways. When people need an
ASL speaker they REALLY need one and it has proven to me more useful
than my little bit of Latin or Swedish.

I'd be happy to speak with you or anyone else about my experiences in
the land of education of a profound dyslexic. I'm one of the few adult
dyslexics willing to admit my disability it seems sometimes.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224 4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney@gmail.com