Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Re: Exemplary Math Technologists

One exemplary use by my middle school math teachers - using OneNote shared =
notebooks. We have a laptop program with tablets, so keep in mind that the=
following takes place in classrooms where every student has a tablet PC.

Students use OneNote to create shared notebooks on the server. The noteboo=
ks are shared with the teacher. There are notebook tabs for class warm-ups=
, activities, practice, homework, etc. Teachers can access them any time a=
nd display them w/their projectors. All work is handed in electronically a=
nd collected/corrected electronically.=20

Here's a blog entry explaining the process and how it's organized: http://t=
ech4teaching.org/wpblog/?p=3D225 . Over all, it's been quite positive on a=
number of levels. Keep in mind that OneNote allows users to use a variety=
of media content - text, audio, video, web links, etc. One downfall... W=
e use MathType in a number of our classes, and the toolbar doesn't come up =
on OneNote as it does in other Office apps. There are some workarounds for=
this, but it can be pretty tedious. At this point, we've used OneNote in =
our 6th & 7th grade math classes and plan to expand to 8th. I can see this=
strategy being quite effective in upper grades as well.

Tami Brass
Middle School Technology Coordinator
St. Paul Academy and Summit School
1712 Randolph Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105