Monday, April 13, 2009

Re: Another netbook question

We do a three year rotation with our laptops. I have found that the
third year, I have warranty issues with about 30% of them, plus battery
replacements for about 75% of them. I do keep laptops into the 4th
year, but they are used for backups, replacements for laptops in the
shop, and parts for other laptops out of warranty. I do not put any
money into non-warrantied laptops, but I will cannibalize other laptops
and often get some working for an extra year.

Most of the netbooks I looked at (Lenovo, Dell, and Asus) have two year
warranties available rather than 3-4. I figure an extended warranty
should not cost more than 20% of the cost of the computer, which is what
most of the 2-year extended warranties are coming in at. So, I would do
a 2-year rotation with netbooks. Since 6-cell batteries cost close to
$100, I am not sure it is worth the cost to keep netbooks beyond the two
years. I would most likely use them into the 3rd year as long as they
worked and held a charge. =20

If all you are doing is word processing, I would look at the low-end
netbooks running Linux. I have seen them for as little as $300. You
can throw Open Office on them, and they would be perfect for 3rd - 4th
graders.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School