Thursday, December 4, 2008

Re: Examples of 21st Century Skills based projects

Hello Alex, sounds cool.
There is obviously an abundance of possibilities (what an exciting time!).
But here are a few select suggestions:

1. The work of New Technology High
School<http://www.newtechhigh.org/Website2007/about-NTHS.html>is
outstanding-- they are very designed for urban students, and do
terrific
project based learning for 21st century skill-building. The website has
sample student portfolios you could reference. I spent a day shadowing a
student, and blogged<http://goodhighschool.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-technology-high-school-sacramento.html>about
the excellent curriculum there, with many specific examples and
stories.

2. There is a really interesting
article<http://www.educationsector.org/research/research_show.htm?doc_id=716323>published
at Ed. Sector very recently both describing 21st c. skills
instruction, and beginning to evaluate measurements of it. It gives some
nice examples, and also refers to NTHS as exemplary. The article is called
Measuring Skills for the 21st. c.

3. I was going to direct you to Pat's powerpoint, but he beat me to it. It
is great, and I was able to really effectively borrow from it for
presentations I did last spring on 21st century education.

4. Finally, you probably already know Tony Wagner's Global Achievement Gap
book, which was published last summer and which I think is terrific. He
concludes the book with a chapter about high schools that really are
teaching 21st c. skills, and there are great "stories" therein. He
features most prominently the work of High Tech
High<http://www.hightechhigh.org/about/>School in San Diego, and its
website also has sample student work you could
examine that are really good. I am going to shadow students and live-blog
at High Tech High next Monday and Tuesday, the 8th and 9th, if you are
interested.

Hope this is helpful-- it is good and important work you are doing!
Jonathan
--
Jonathan E. Martin
www.goodhighschool.blogspot.com