Thursday, May 6, 2010

Re: Parents posting videos on You Tube or Facebook of School Activities

We've also had instances where parents have posted video of school events on
utube. We just conceded that this was something we ultimately could not
police effectively; and that it really wasn't a battle worth taking on.

Brian - I agree with your stance. It's almost impossible to monitor parent
behavior. However...

I'm assuming the most pressing concern most people have about this is what
degree of liability is the school responsible for if there is an egregious
act by a parent. If it is a school event, isn't the school responsible for
policing proper behavior at said event? I guess the school can ban all
recording devices on school property... But, imagine the uproar that will
create...

David - If you're willing to share, I would love to have a look at your
disclosure policy.

A.

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Brian Lee <blee@mph.net> wrote:

> Just a few questions for you about your concerns. It's to help bring up
> thoughts and consequences of trying to police Youtube for your school.
>
> - How do you tell parents not to post videos on Youtube taken with their
> own
> cameras?
> - How would you enforce a policy of not having parents post videos on
> Youtube?
> - Would you ban the parents from the school or events if they don't comply?
> - Is it worth the risk of losing tuition and endowments in the future
> because of a youtube thing?
> - Do you want to act as your school's Youtube police?
> - What right does the school have to tell this parent not to post videos on
> Youtube or Facebook?
> - Do you want lawyers involved in helping you police your school's Youtube
> videos if parents don't comply?
>
> Something to think about...
>

> Brian Lee
> Manlius Pebble Hill School
>

> > From: "Yares, Ali" <ayares@parkschool.net>
> > Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 21:42:42 -0400
> > To: <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> > Subject: Parents posting videos on You Tube or Facebook of School
> Activities
> >
> > We have a number of parents who have begun to post videos and/or pictures
> on
> > both You Tube and Facebook of students (not their own children) at school
> > activities or school sponsored events. I'm wondering if any schools have
> set
> > up a set of guidelines or even policies for parents in regards to posting
> > video or pictures of on any of these social media sites or other types of
> > sites.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ali
> >

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]