Thursday, May 6, 2010

Re: Online Math Application (IXL.COM)

Hi All -

IXL.com fits the bill if you're looking for drill and practice web sites.
However, with all due respect, how is IXL.com a Web 2.0 web site? I tried it
when it first came out with my own children, and I found it to be basically
an electronic set of worksheets. It's helpful in that tracks kids' progress
and doesn't let them move on until they've mastered a concept, but I felt
that it wasn't much of a teaching tool. If problems were accompanied by
simulations, videos or other demonstrations of concepts, I'd find that more
helpful. Has it changed significantly in the past year or so? Are here new
features that are interesting?

IXL.com, by the way, is made by the same people behind Quia, I believe. I
love Quia, but didn't find IXL to be of the same quality.

Lucy Gray