Thursday, April 16, 2009

Re: PC to Mac

Hi Renee,

Yes, we are a PC school that has gone cross-platform. We have Office
licensing and Adobe licensing for both platforms. We are not a 1:1
school, but have laptop carts, mostly PC, for every grade, K-5, and for
every discipline, 6-8, and three carts for Upper School science. We
purchased Macs last year for members if the IT team and several
administrators. The IT engineers prepared for the long-range plan to
bring them to the classrooms. We have purchased 25 MacBooks and a
laptop cart for the Middle School history department. They will pilot a
project creating two paperless classrooms. We have also fashioned a
language lab in a box using iPod Touches. We are moving older computers
to our Learning Center with Linux and open source applications for
student use and experimentation. =20

It is our philosophy to allow students to move through their education
using multiple operating systems, to learn to make choices, to grow with
the technology and not be stuck with one laptop every four or so years.
That is why we are moving to cross platform. We've added work, risk, and
aggravation to our IT lives, but isn't challenge what drives us?

-Sherrie

Sherrie Loveman
University School
Director of Information Technology