Friday, April 10, 2009

Re: Netbooks- Battery Life

My Asus is no where near the time listed on this study. I wish it was. The =
other thing to consider in these types of reviews is the testing condition =
and how close does that match the working condition if YOU were using them.=
One may be excellent in the power save mode but that same laptop may be a =
power hog when using wireless in full light while another may perform well =
in the wireless condition but poorly in power-save mode. This is a combinat=
ion of battery technology combined with the engineering of the actual machi=
ne. I am however, finding this entire netbook thread very interesting. I pe=
rsonally own an early version of the ASUS in a Linux format. I also have 5 =
OLPC XO computers for a research project. I have been looking at several ot=
her netbooks to personally purchase for research as well. There are several=
of us at UNT in my PhD program who are interested in conducting research s=
urrounding the use of netbooks in the classroom. It will be interesting to =
see what people choose as their platform but even more interesting to see h=
ow they are used in the classroom, how teaching is changed (or not changed)=
. Personally, I wish that Apple would develop a folding keyboard that would=
work with my iPhone. As it is now, I would have to "jail-break" my new pho=
ne and I just don't want to do that just yet.

Chris Bigenho

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L