Thursday, April 16, 2009

Re: MS Scheduling: Extra Help Options

To keep it out of the box - I just wrote up a story about Mahara - free
and open source eportfolio and social networking. Won best open source
application for education in New Zealand -
http://www.imparisystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50#mahara

You can get a virtual box for about $90 / year and install if you're
short on funds.

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 10:21 -0400, Linda Swarlis wrote:

> This is a bit out of the box, but I read somewhere recently that some schools are taking advantage of online connections to have teachers digitally store classroom presentations (powerpoint with audio, streaming video, etc.). Students are expected to access and go through the content during the time that they would normally do homework (it is their homework assignment for that day). The next day they would come to school and work on their "homework assignment" after they had viewed the class content from the digital presentation. That way the teacher can work with the students who might struggle and the ones who do not need the extra help could work independently or help tutor their classmates. I do not think that this is something that could be done every day (and you would have to convince some teachers of its value) but the system got great reviews in the article I read.

Matt Burkhardt, MS Technology Management
Impari Systems, Inc.
502 Fairview Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com