Thursday, April 2, 2009

Re: Head-End / Closed Circuit Video Distribution

Last summer I ended up with an IP video distribution system from Videofurna=
ce. They're great and it was an easy install. I looked at Videofurnace an=
d Vbrick Ethernetv when but decided on Videofurnace for various reasons. I=
'm in Illinois too so the good thing about Videofurnace was that they're in=
the north suburbs, not too far away so support has been great. Northweste=
rn University is their biggest customer I think and I got a chance to see t=
heir setup on campus. Snapstream also came out with an enterprise class vi=
deo distribution/video on demand type system that looks really promising.

The biggest thing you need to keep in mind with any of these IP based syste=
ms is managing the multicast traffic. You have got to have multicast aware=
network switching from end to end.

Thanks

Jomar McDonald
Director of Technology