Thursday, December 4, 2008

Re: Whipple Hill vs FinalSite

Just another voice on this. I came into the school in July at they had
implemented WH. I think fresh eyes on the system was useful in redesigning
how the data was played through the system to make it more meaningful for
the faculty, students, parents and alumni.

There are limitations to all systems and I was not part of the selection
process since it was before my time, but I think we are getting good value
for what we have with WH. On just about every occasion, we have not had
situations where the system does not give us what we want or provide a
workaround. By far the biggest issue is really working with users to get
needs requirements and understanding what we want it to. This discovery
leads to untangling past practices and questionable assumptions that really
have nothing to do with the software (typically).

I have not played with Finalsite, but it seems to me at a quick glance to be
far more of a development environment that can be molded with professional
labor or in-house talent to adapt to what the school wants. In following the
thread on ISEL, it seems that is a strong selling point for the product for
those that have bought the environment. I totally understand that value
proposition. The only issue I have with that is that typically these sorts
of systems can become so catered and tweaked that they cease to be the
standard development environment and start to really become custom
solutions.

Again, my experience is NOT in schools and I have seen scenarios play out
for others like this in corporate environments where software systems can be
customized so much, they cease to have the value of upgradability of the
standard core toolsets and layers of the base product. It is all done with
the best intentions and driven by the desire to hit the nail on the head for
temporal customer requirements, but long term it can be detrimental for the
customer to give them everything they want and cross the line from what I
would call 'personalization' of the software environment for the site to
full-blown 'customization' of the software to generate a site 'version' for
the customer which can eventually make you in the business of software
developers for your custom site.

Probably have gone on too long here, but at least in working with WH, there
is a definite structure that is underlying all the WH installations that
takes into account the upgrade and feature set improvements because there
are certain areas that just cannot be messed with or should not be messed
with to maintain common architecture across the customer-base.

Jonathan
Jonathan Mergy (jmergy@lwhs.org)
Director Of Technology
Lick-Wilmerding High School