Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Re: Turnitin alternatives

While having access to plagiarism checking systems is nice, I'd like to tos=
s to the group that perhaps some easy tweaks to our educational process may=
also be even better. =20
(1) Require drafts of the final paper,=20
(2) Use drafts and smaller written assignments that will comprise the bulk =
of the major paper,=20
(3) Tweak the original paper topic to move from "scoop and smush" (Jamie Mc=
Kenzie "Beyond Cut-and-Paste" http://www.fno.org/sept08/cut.html)
to students gathering & analyzing information, then writing a paper that di=
splays original, multidimensional thinking.

Yes, this takes more time to craft the assignment/overarching theme/questio=
n, but the result is more aligned to what I hope is a more interesting, rel=
evant, and thought-provoking paper being created by students.

Gayle

Gayle Wilson
Albuquerque Academy
Educational Technology | 8-9 Scheduler
505.858.8891
"Never make cartographers mad. They'll tell you where to go and draw you a =
map."
Unknown