Thursday, May 6, 2010

Re: Parents posting videos on You Tube or Facebook of School Activities

Hi Ali -

My 2 cents....

I don't think this is a policy issue, nor is it a technology issue. Rather,
it is a discussion that parents should have within whatever parent education
mechanism your school has.

I understand the privacy concerns that are raised by this practice. I also
think that the notion of what constitutes an appropriate level privacy is
changing. This is a wonderful opportunity for the entire community to engage
in an important discussion, facilitated (but not owned) by the school.

For my personal take on the changing attitudes towards privacy check out my
glob entry: taffee.edublogs.org/2010/03/20/postcards-from-the-net/

Steve Taffee
Castilleja School

======
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 21:42:42 -0400
From: "Yares, Ali" <ayares@parkschool.net>
Subject: Parents posting videos on You Tube or Facebook of School Activities

We have a number of parents who have begun to post videos and/or pictures on
both You Tube and Facebook of students (not their own children) at school
activities or school sponsored events. I'm wondering if any schools have set
up a set of guidelines or even policies for parents in regards to posting
video or pictures of on any of these social media sites or other types of
sites.

Thanks,

Ali

Ali Yares