Saturday, November 21, 2009

Re: Trends in the ratio between head salary and average teacher salary

I have done a similar analysis over the last few years, looking at the
Independent Schools of New England. I used the Guidestar database which
supplies actual salaries of the top 5 employees (as well as board members -
that usually catches Business Manager and Head of Development) and an
average Faculty salary calculation. Faculty salaries at most of the schools
that I looked at were increasing at roughly the cost of living rate or a
little lower (around 3% - a little lower than Fred's calculation.) The
Headmaster salaries were going up (with only one notable exception) by
roughly 15% per year, leading to a doubling of salary over the last 8
years. I could not find religiously affiliated schools in Guidestar. I
believe this is because of different federal reporting standards. This is
very rough calculation because there are a number of factors that make it
harder to calculate: housing (boarding/Day), food, travel, supplementary
funds, etc. I noticed the dramatic trend up about ten years ago. It is
also interesting that the upward trend was almost identical in competing
schools and included the Head, Business Manager, and Head of Development.
There was a much greater swing for Technology Directors who show up in some
schools in the top 5 and aren't on the charts of most others.
JKT

--
John K. Thurner
Ed.D. Ed.M. Harvard Graduate School of Education