Friday, November 20, 2009

Re: Is Typing Speed Important Anymore

Keith,
I emphasize accuracy over speed. I require my students to set a goal of 98%
accuracy or better. Once accurate, the speed will follow (If it doesn't
they are still accurate). I was just telling my students the other day that
I have had a seventh grade student type 75 wpm with 98% accuracy and an
eighth grade student type 110 wpm with 99% accuracy. Both are excellent
piano players and the latter attributed the high jump in speed to instant
messaging. Most folks handwrite 7 - 10 wpm - it would be crazy not help
students gain this skill before they establish bad habits and as their need
to type increases. My students are questioning why we don't just use Dragon
Speaking to speak our text. Back to the 2013 predictions...
Cheers,
Ann