Friday, November 20, 2009

Re: thin clients

Chris,

I have done quite a bit of research, testing and also use thin clients toda=
y (for office productivity apps only). =20

In my opinion the best source for session based computing (SBC), thin clien=
ts, remote desktop, etc. information and discussion is Brian Madden (Micros=
oft MVP):
http://brianmadden.com
His community of users, vendors and implementers is the epicenter of what i=
s possible today and forward looking to what is coming. (If you know of oth=
ers, please share)

In short, I do not feel SBC and thin clients are a viable solution for stud=
ent lab use today. Yes, they can work today for the business office, but m=
ultimedia support is the limiting factor when students are the intended end=
user. Great advances are being made by Citrix, Wyse, Microsoft and a host=
of other vendors. I feel 2010 will see the tipping point toward thin clie=
nts. Today the overall cost of a SBC ONLY solution, balanced with the end =
user experience, is just not there.=20

You mentioned your reason for investigating thin clients is to take advance=
of the perceived benefits (cost savings) of centralized desktop management=
. I agree that this is a potential cost savings factor, but only if your e=
ntire campus is thin. If you have a mixed traditional and thin environment=
, I feel it actually increases the total cost of ownership because one must=
still support the fat clients and add in the new thin clients. =20

I feel there is a perception that thin clients are a Windows only solution,=
but Aqua Connect is working with the Mac OS to deliver the experience on t=
hin devices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Connect (Wiki link. Vendor link within)

The best value that I see in the market today is NComputing and the soon to=
be launched Microsoft Windows MultiPoint Server (http://www.microsoft.com/=
unlimitedpotential/programs/multipoint.mspx
). Both of these offerings are =
aimed at schools making use of PC class hardware in a classroom, managed by=
a teacher, using USB connected peripherals to share a single computer with=
multiple end users. Why I feel this is so interesting is they attempt dri=
ve costs down by sharing computing resources and remove (reduce) traditiona=
l IT staff involvement. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Great thread and I hope to learn more from others making use of technology =
that reduces IT spend and best serves the needs of students as end users.=
=20

Cheers,
Ryan R. Fox
Product Manager