Friday, November 20, 2009

Re: Is Typing Speed Important Anymore

I would like to add two points to the discussion.

I attended an ergonomics course a few years ago and the professor mentioned=
that touch typing was better for users ergonomically. The two finger tech=
nique (which requires having to look down at the keyboard frequently) ultim=
ately puts strain on the neck and shoulders that over time (repetitive stre=
ss) will cause physical problems.=20

One of the areas that I would like to see more fully researched is whether =
proofing on the computer screen is equivalent to proofing on a sheet of pap=
er. I came across some research that suggested that some people have diffic=
ulty depending on their level of spatial ability and for those users it is =
not an equivalent process. Those low spatial ability users would miss error=
s on the screen that they did not miss on paper. I did not have time to pur=
sue that research, but the report of the study that I found did make me won=
der.

Linda Jacobs Swarlis, Ph.D.
Director of Information Services and Library

56 S. Columbia Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209
614.252.0781 ext. 129
FAX: 614.252.0571