Friday, November 20, 2009

Re: Is Typing Speed - Dvorak keyboard

There have been studies - I can't find citation late on a Friday afternoon
but I have read some - which compared typing speeds on Dvorak and QWERTY
keyboards. Essentially, the conclusion was that maximum speeds are
independent of keyboard type. Those who learned on one type could rarely
match their top speeds on the other type; once you've learned on a QWERTY
keyboard it is hard to switch and vice-versa. That said, it doesn't make
ANY sense to introduce Dvorak keyboards, as it is very unlikely that your
students will encounter them outside your school.

In the end it is a moot point whether Dvorak is better. The Sony Beta
recorders were better than VHS, too. Not sure if that is a subconscious
hint to a long-ago thread about whether keyboards are going the way of
VHS...

BTW I agree with David that we have an obligation to teach them correct
techniques, at least up until ___ grade. My school runs through sixth, so I
push my students to get it 'right'.

Dan Berger