Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: Math Curriculum Adoption

Hi Shelly--

We use Investigations (2nd edition) for K-5 and Connected Math for 6-8. We
have well-established benchmarks for basic number combinations at each grade
level K-5, based on the program's curriculum. We also use Boston's
assessments for end-of-unit and end-of-year benchmarking. Additionally, we
have implemented instructional standards or non-negotiables (60 minutes of
math a day, plus 10 minute math), monthly "looking at student work" sessions
at grade level, and ongoing professional development. We also use Math
Forum for weekly problems K-8, Math Olympiads for the monthly Math Club, and
other problems for differentiation around readiness and interest--these are
open to everyone and optional for teacher and parent use.

In the 10 years we have used these curricula we have found that the
instructional component, along with strong professional development through
math coaching and collaborative coaching is what makes the greatest
difference for our students.

Chris Weiss
Assistant Academic Dean/Learning Catalyst
Trinity Episcopal School
Charlotte, NC