Thursday, November 19, 2009

Re: Arabic Programs

>Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:09:44 -0500
>From: Don Berger <Don_Berger@caryacademy.org>
>Subject: Arabic Progams?

>We are exploring beginning an Arabic program. Does anyone know of
independe=
>nt schools other than Andover, Deerfield and Roland Park that currently
tea=
>ch Arabic. I'm particularly interested in middle schools. Thank you,
>Don
==
The low enrollment in these programs as cited by several schools, or the
dependency on a given teacher, makes "niche" languages such as Arabic a
perfect candidate for online courses.

Perhaps schools that are offering it could work together to create an online
course that could be offered nationally. You might start with the Online
School for Girls - http://www.onlineschoolforgirls.org/index.html, or the
ISEN Ning: http://isenet.ning.com/group/onlineanddistancelearning.

Steve Taffee
Castilleja School