Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Re: Music and Video - the tools of choice for schools

Hi Don,

We are using Sibelius and Practica Musica in our music program. We have a =
1:1 program so we have a network user license that allows our students to a=
ccess the software as needed in and out of class. I know we've had a few s=
tudents plug their electric pianos/organs into their laptops to grab music =
as well. We also just ordered a whole bunch of software for an updated mus=
ic recording lab/studio. I can't remember all the software but I included =
in that was Logic Express (Mac) and ProTools.

Currently we are in the process of migrating from the Windows platform to t=
he Macs, so our video editing is split at the moment. We have been using A=
dobe Premiere Elements on the Windows laptops. This year the video teacher=
is exploring both iMovie and Final Cut. We have only been in session for =
3 weeks, so I don't think he's come to any final decision yet. We have als=
o used Adobe Premiere on a few special projects. We are using MacBooks and=
Lenovo Laptops and Sony DV Camcorders. We just purchased a few Sony Camco=
rders that record directly to SD cards which have been met with great excit=
ement so far - very small and no moving parts to break down.

We are currently doing podcasts, but that may be coming soon.

Hope this helps.

Kris

Kristopher Wiemer
Academic Technology Coordinator