Saturday, September 26, 2009

Re: Blogger for students

We installed a Multi User Word Press server this year. We're only two weeks
into the blogging, but I already am a huge fan of MUWP. The only catch is
that you need to have someone on site who enjoys geeking out and delving
into open source software to get it set up just the way you want it. We
have just such a geek and it's been great--he even hung out in the classroom
with me the whole day that the students were setting up their blogs.
There's a pretty good sized network of users for support online and in
Twitter.

One reason I like MUWP so much is that it is an authentic tool (there are
literally millions of Word Press users out there), the students can
individualize all they want, and yet you can keep an eye on them.

For example, when students found out that they were the admin of their own
blogs with the rights to approve or reject a comment they loved it. Yet I
still have the ability to monitor things so that they don't devolve into any
behaviors that can happen so easily with young adolescents. (We're using
this with 6th graders right now).

Our old blogging tool felt convoluted and unnatural, if that makes sense.
This one doesn't just feel/look like "real" blogging, it is real blogging!

In case you haven't seen it--here's a link to Seth Godin's very short video
on Why Blogging is Good For
You<http://isenet.ning.com/video/why-blogging-is-good-for-you>
.

Sarah Hanawald