Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Re: Liabiltiy Waiver Agreement??

Up until about 4 years ago we sold our 150 or so decommissioned laptops (we
are a 1:1 and we own all laptops) that were still in good enough shape to
sell. We paid students in June to do an extensive set of tests and then we
re-imaged them to make sure they were in good working order. Sales were
brisk and we made a nice return on the old equipment.

Now to the point. We were never able to solve the problem you are dealing
with. No matter what document we had buyers sign (I think we gave a 90 day
warranty) we would have people come back up to a year later and ask if we
could service a broken laptop. The difficulty for us was that we felt bad
for the buyer because they did paid a few hundred dollars for the laptop. On
the other hand, dealing with these issues was a distraction that we simply
didn't have time for. It was also sometimes hard to draw the line between
problems due to defects vs. problems due to misuse.

In the end we decided that it just wasn't worth it to us sell our old
laptops "retail" due to the significant time we had to spend prepping them
for sale, handling the sale, and then dealing with the inevitable returns
which we always made good on even if we took a loss. We now pack up all of
our decommissioned laptops and sell them wholesale to one reseller of used
laptops who gives us a fair price and a certificate of transfer so we can
prove that we didn't dump them in a dumpster. Considering all of the time
and headache we save, even though we don't bring in as much money we think
this is much more cost effective and would never go back to selling retail.
When faculty and others ask me why we don't sell laptops any more, I am very
honest with them. I simply say that we cannot service them or provide a
warranty and therefore we don't feel right selling something that might
break in 6 months.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology

P.S. Before I came to Peddie I was the tech director at Newton Country Day.